We are an award winning carnival band, our main body of carnival work is showcased each year at Notting Hill Carnival. Our work in carnival involves highly skilled art forms across street art, music, dance and costume. We also produce work for national and international carnival events. Our yearly carnival programme is funded by the Arts Council England.
Our main aims/goals are:
- A seven month carnival arts outreach arts programme offered at our Brixton based studios C.A.F.E Carnival.Arts.For.Everyone from March- October.
- Introduction of carnival arts to a new audience: opening our doors to the general and everyday public to view, learn and get involved in carnival arts.
- Taking carnival arts to new venues and events.
- Annual carnival artwork showcasing at Notting Hill and other national carnival events.
- Information, resource centre, training and production services in carnival arts.
- Assisting artist and smaller carnival organisations to learn about new materials, methods and create work with us.
- Bi-weekly and half term CYP (children and young people) workshops for local community.
Our carnival studios are dedicated to artists, communities, and carnival groups for creating all aspects of carnival arts.
The studio houses a range of multi-functional spaces: Mas Camp (the home of carnival making), rehearsal studio, large costume construction facility, teaching room, carnival resource facilities and a costume-making workshop.
S.i.A has identified the need to develop basic skills in design, materials, decorating methods, structures, sewing/ pattern cutting and costume details. Teaching the younger generation the culture and arts of carnival.
We offer educational carnival workshops. You can book as an individual or bring your carnival group, school, community group or business down for workshops on designing, costume/ mask creation or our team building workshops. We also help in perfecting carnival costumes or researching in design, material and prototyping.
We also offer a costume production service for all your carnival costume needs- designs, materials, sewing, costume parts (backpacks, headdresses, accessories etc) and small and large scale backpack costumes.
We also stock a range of carnival costumes for sale or hire for events. Contact us on email@example.com