Carnival & MAS Camp
Sunshine International Arts is award-winning carnival band with an aim of breaking down barriers and creating conversations through our striking costumes. Our work has been produced for national and international events and has been showcased around the world. We combine highly-skilled art forms across street art, music, dance and costume.
Our yearly carnival programme is funded by the Arts Council England.
We strive to:
- Introduce carnival arts to a new audience: opening our doors to the general public to watch, learn and get involved in carnival arts.
- Spread our knowledge of carnival arts and its history to new places and people.
- Provide a resource centre for people interested in gaining Information, training and production know-how in carnival arts.
- Offer assistance to emerging artists and smaller carnival organisations to learn about new materials, methods and the opportunity to create work with us.
- Offer a summer mas camp for Bi-weekly for families and CYP (children and young people) workshops for local community.
- Keep the spirit of Carnival alive!
Our carnival studios are dedicated to artists, communities, and carnival groups for creating all aspects of carnival arts.
The studio houses a range of multi-functional spaces: MAS Camp (the home of carnival making), rehearsal studio, large costume construction facility, teaching room, carnival resource facilities and a costume-making workshop.
S.i.A has identified the need to develop basic skills in design, materials, decorating methods, structures, sewing/ pattern cutting and costume details, to ensure a new generation learns about the culture and art of carnival.
MAS Camp & Workshops
The term ‘MAS Camp’ originates from Trinidad and refers to the place where local people from all walks of life come together to create and assemble mas costumes in the lead-up to carnival celebration. Our MAS Camp is a seven-month carnival arts outreach programme offered in our welcoming and creative hub in the heart of Loughborough Junction, Brixton.
Absolutely everyone, regardless of skill level, is welcome to come and help us create and celebrate carnival!
If you are interested in attending our annual MAS camp please contact us by using our enquiry form
Educational Carnival Workshops
We also offer educational carnival workshops. You can book as an individual or bring your carnival group, school, community group or business down for workshops on designing, costume/mask creation.
We also help in perfecting carnival costumes or researching in design, material and prototyping. Contact us by email for more information
Need support in making your vision come to life? You can Commission Us to help you perfect your carnival costumes – from designs, materials, sewing, costume parts (backpacks, headdresses, accessories etc) to small- and large-scale backpack costumes.